Taxonomy and History
Synonyms : Pterinochilus mamillatus
- Described By: Pocock, 1897
- Genus: Pterinochilus
- Common Name: Usumbara, Orange Baboon, Mombasa Golden Starburst, Golden Baboon
- Harpactira elevata Karsch, 1878
- Pterinochilus mamillatus Strand, 1906
- Pterinochilus vosseleri Strand, 1907
- Pterinochilus hindei Hirst, 1907
- Pterinochilus hindei Smith, 1986
- Pterinochilus leetzi Schmidt, 2002
Among those who keep tarantulas as pets Pterinochilus murinus is known as "OBT," which means "Orange Baboon Tarantula" or "Orange Bitey Thing," and also as the "Pterror," a pun on its Latin genus classification: Pterinochilus. These nicknames reference a particular orange color form that is prized in the hobby for its beauty and confrontational personality. It is also known as the Mombasa golden starburst tarantula.
This species is incredibly defensive and should not be held. The bite of this species, while not serious, is extremely painful. Moreover, the species is more than willing to inflict such a bite before presenting the typical threat display. Caution when dealing with this species is advised.